17 September 2010

guest book : michelle mcever


our friend michelle mcever stayed with us on wednesday night on her way from nashville to medford for a wedding.  her visit here was such an ordained event, her presence a thousand gulps of water.  her testimony reminds me how real & powerful jesus is, & makes me long for so much more of him.

long talks of bethel church & the prophetic, along with some music recommendations to pass along.  i've had a hard time finding christian/worship music that i like, and i'm so glad to have found this:  go to come&live (a label started by former A&R guy for tooth & nail records, i think.  they give all the music away for free...) & download the album "hymns" by ascend the hill.  i've been loving this today, especially the songs "take the world, but give me jesus," "oh love that will not let me go," and "be thou my vision".  i'm a sucker for epic rising action post-rock/ambient music, & a lover of old hymns, so this hits the sweet spot.  here's one of those treasured hymns:

O Love that will not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

O Light that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in thy sunshine’s blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee;
I lay in dust life’s glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.

--"Oh Love that will not let me go" by George Matheson, 1882

No comments: