it's not really the first day of advent, but today, december 1st, started the countdown to christmas on our advent calendar. i made this little pocket calendar
last year, & i'll be filling each date with an activity or gift (for the kids) to celebrate the season. today they each received a little gift--a little fridge magnet for sheppy & a pair of little red rose earrings for heron.
now that heron is a little older, i really want to be more intentional about bringing the story of jesus' birth into our days of activities & gifts, in a meaningful, natural, engaging way. ideas for 3-year-olds, anyone?
3 comments:
Aholyexperience.com has a devotional that's great for kids and family using a Jesse tree.--we haven't actually done it ourselves, but I have friends that rave about it as a great tool to bring the story of Jesus and the bible into Christmas ^_^
I've been looking at this book:
http://truthinthetinsel.com/
because it's supposed to be geared toward younger kids. I just don't know that I can do a craft every day. But it might be worth checking out. I love your advent calendar.
I just read this today... thought it was rather cute:
A Family Advent Activity: Plant Straw for the Manger
1. Fill containers with dirt. Label each container with each child/person's name.
2. Fill a bowl with grass seeds/wheat seeds
3. All Advent, look for ways to do small acts of kindness: a hot cup of coffee, a sticky note on a mirror, a treat left for a seat
treat left on a seat. And for every small act, plant one seed.
4. Water throughout Advent.
5. On Christmas Eve, gather the sprouts of grass. Lay the grass in the manger for the Christ Child.
Post a Comment