18 February 2013

bird school


today heron woke up and said, "mama, can we do bird school today?"  we have done this before--it simply means we scratch all previously planned activities and learn about birds all day.  perfect!  josh left at 4 a.m. today for an eight-day tour & i hadn't totally completed my lesson plans for the day.  so, we picked up heron's vintage copy of peterson's field guide to western birds & observed them in our own backyard.  we colored pictures of jays (which seem to enjoy our backyard), did a bird puzzle to learn body parts, then headed out to the bird sanctuary.  aunt teal stayed with peregrin so i could have some more focused adventure time with heron & sheppy.

heron tells me just about every day that she wants to be an artist, a ballerina, & a volunteer at a bird sanctuary.  she knows all of the birds being rehabilitated at our local audubon society--ruby the vulture, finnegan the peregrin falcon, jack & lillie the sparrow hawks, hazel the northern spotted owl, etc.  shepherd is learning, too.  "hazel can't fly, mama," he tells me.

but today we made the unfortunate acquaintance with aristophanes, the raven, who attacked shepherd.  a talon scratch on the finger (which he calls, & shows to everyone, his "raven bite"), some fierce crying, a little first aid & an incident report--no big deal, but now we have both a birder and an ornithophobiac in our family.  as soon as we got home heron began preparing for our next visit to the bird sanctuary, setting out clothes for herself & sheppy, rain boots, her bird guide book, along with "a band-aid for sheppy in case he gets attacked again."

4 comments:

Kailey said...

I adore your blog. So sweet. :)

Sarah Kate Branine said...

I loved reading this, but felt so sorry for your little guy! I hope that he doesn't have a fear of ravens now. (And this story totally made me think of that book Wildwood!). Thankful to have found your space here. I always am so challenged and encouraged to see how other mamas of young ones creatively show them the world. By the way, my husband and I were in the Mississippi district last Saturday and I found a similar onesie the your little Per has-- the ship/water swirls one. I am sorely sad that my two little guys are two big for it. Maybe I should have bought it in case God gives us a #3 : )

elle + josh said...

kailey, thanks! :)

sarah, ooh, i haven't read wildwood yet! should i? and the onesie? it was a gift from our friend liza who most likely bought it at that little mississippi shop you were in. you were totally in our hood! oh, & you definitely should have bought it in case of baby #3. third babies are the sweetest, cuddliest, most laid-back little guys! our #3 is making us want a #4... ;)

Jes said...

I enjoyed this post, as I do, all of your family updates. It's been fun to watch your family grow from afar! :)