22 April 2008

dad's legacy


(this is what i read at dad's memorial service)

While dad was in the hospital he asked what brought me the most joy these days. “Waking up to see Josh beside me, and knowing that we have a daughter on the way,” I said. “Good answer,” he said, with tears in his eyes.

The day dad passed away I began to recall all of the things in this life that brought him joy…

Dad liked writing, and taking pictures.

He liked gardening, kayaking, hiking. He liked to take long walks in the woods. These walks were a part of our growing up, and our homecomings.

Dad liked old Volvos, skinny dipping, science fiction & dirt bikes.

He was just beginning to take an interest in organic food & herbal medicine. He was passionate, always on a new kick. Always finding something new to add to his list of “likes”.

Dad liked adventure, & collecting new stories. He loved his years in the Amazon,. A rich life spent there made him a storyteller.

He loved space music, He loved smoking his pipe on cool rainy evenings on the porch, with earl gray tea at his side.

Dad loved birds, and spent hours by the pond in contemplation, watching wildlife. He created a sanctuary out of our yard—a home to deer, hummingbirds, cranes, even the neighbors’ chickens.
Dad liked people, but he loved his solitude. Mornings were to begin early & quiet, by a window,. Because of this, he appreciated kindred, contemplative writers like Thomas Merton & Annie Dillard. He loved the Lord, & was a bit of a mystic.

When family was around, he celebrated with evening bonfires, good beer, & pipes. He loved to set an atmosphere, a mood, a way to make an occasion of togetherness memorable. For us, as father & daughter, this ritual began when I was in high school. Listening side-by-side, silently, to “Hearts of Space”, with tea & candles.

I know that I could go on & on, for there were so many things that delighted him in life. He was complex & fascinating, his tastes diverse.

When I was growing up, I was convinced I must be an alien. Or maybe adopted. I didn’t think I bore any resemblance to my family, physically or otherwise. I certainly didn’t know where my eccentric & eclectic tastes came from. And it is only now that I see it. As it turns out, I have grown up to be very much like my father. What he loved, I now love, too. Accidentally, maybe. But I see now where I’ve come from. I see now that so much of who I am is because of my dad. And I see now that his legacy lives on in me, & will soon live on in my daughter, too. I am David Ramsdale’s daughter. And so I want to thank him--for who he was, for who I am, and for who I am because he lived.

8 comments:

beka said...

Thank you Michelle. Thank you for sharing and offering a glimps into David Boyd Ramsdale-ness.

JAndre said...

You and your family have been in our thoughts, Michelle. Your description of your dad is timeless and lovely.

Gman and Julz said...

This is beautiful... Julz have kept you and your family in our prayers... it's quite astonishing and moving... our heart is with you... I know you're blessed so richly by your dad.

Keren said...

elle,

thank you for sharing that. it's so beautiful. it brought tears to my eyes.

you and your family are in our prayers.

Maria Kristiansen said...

Beatiful, Michelle
What a legacy and what a way to remember it. Love you, Maria

Maria Kristiansen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lacey said...

Michelle, this leaves me speechless. I love you and I am keeping you, josh, little bird, and your family in my prayers.

Juli said...

very very good "speaking". i am sure it was hard to do, i was very nervous before i "spoke" for jer and jo. it was beautiful, and you always have been a great writer, and mixed with loss, it becomes divine.