we spent christmas with my parents in north carolina this year. the drive there was a bit more uncomfortable than usual (josh had gone snowboarding two days before, & i'm not used to pregnant roadtrips! we stopped every two hours so i could walk laps around gas stations & rest areas). but once we arrived... we were really able to rest. mom & dad's home is so peaceful, & they took such good care of us! waxhaw is about 40 miles from charlotte, & my folks' homestead is on a wooded 7 acres + a pond. so we stayed around the house mostly, except for a trip to the raptor center, christmas eve at calvary church, & a traditional shopping trip with mom. it was a small & lovely christmas this year. we loved visiting the raptor center, something dad was very excited to take us to...
: apparently, my ectomorphic husband has the wingspan of a bald eagle :

the raptor center rescues & rehabilitates birds of prey. it was a much more positive place than a zoo, where animals would be happiest in the wild (i love visiting zoos, but they always make me a little sad, too). these birds would not be able to fend for themselves in the wild, as many of them had been shot & had never regained full mobility, or had been hit by cars, leaving permanently damaged wings. our favorite birds were a screech owl named andi, a part-albino hawk named honeysuckle, and a peregrine falcon named aragorn. thanks, dad, for taking us to see the birds!

: we also played LOTS of mexican train, our new favorite game :
: here's my mom :
: and dad, showing us his current work project :
(former jungle pilot, he is now working as a writer & photographer for wycliffe, & scanning in thousands of his own slides for the wycliffe archives. he's delighted to be working from home these days, in a little writer's nook above the garage)
6 comments:
I LOVE Mexican Train!! Yehaw! Loved the christmas mix too - the packaging was incredible, how do you do that!? Love to you both (I mean you three!).
beCcA&traCe
Yeah, Momma! Congrats on Babydom! Also, I always thought of Josh as a condorman... I was wrong, obviously an eagleman... Happy New Year!
Hip, hip for the anticipated Garrels babe!
"Ectomorphic" - thanks for the new word! I will use it well.
what... you were in the great state of NC and we didn't know it. shoot. when you comin' back to the outer banks y'all? we miss ya.
Gorgeous pictures! It is so wonderful reconnecting with you! :) I think you just might be the cutest mommy-to-be ever!
Elle, just have to say, I'm a huuuuge fan of Josh's music, but when I first discovered it it was made all the more personal when I found out you are an mk. Jacaranda means a lot to me. I just saw your recent post about filming Original Spacefan and scrolled back and happened on this post and saw that your dad was with Wycliffe, as my parents are.
What a life we've all lived, right?
Post a Comment